An international drivers license for an Indian is easier to get than you think!
It’s a great thing to finally get your driving license, isn’t it? For most, it is like acquiring freedom. However, after a point we start taking our driving license for granted. It’s always going to be with us, isn’t it? The feeling of liberation fades away, and monotony of life kicks in. The road-trips are far and few in between of our disciplined life.
But, you once again start thinking of your driving license, if you’re planning a trip abroad. Who doesn’t want to drive down the roads in Miami and bike across Paris, huh? A holiday without driving, isn’t a holiday! It’s hell! So how do you get to drive in a country when you’re travelling there? Don’t worry, we are here to tell you everything about it!
But wait, you already have so many questions! Will the license you have in your wallet, work there? If not, what is the process of acquiring an international driving licence. What documents are required?
Chill! These questions of yours shall be answered in this post. And as always, we will go a step further and make sure you understand the entire process in itself too!
So, fasten your seat-belts, because we are about to take off! Or well, drive off!
One cannot as an Indian citizen, drive in a country outside of India without a valid international driver’s license. It is a mandatory document if you are behind the wheel. Mainly, the Zonal Regional Transport Office (RTO) is responsible for issuing a valid international drivers license to individuals. With an international drivers license, an individual can rent/drive vehicles when they’re visiting another country.
– An international drivers license is a permit-document.
– An international drivers license has a validity of 1 year.
– It is required by an Indian citizen if he/she is visiting a different country and planning to drive there.
– In certain countries, the Indian driving license is accepted, however it is always recommended to get an international drivers license. This is because, it is always easier to claim insurance if you have an international drivers license.
– An international license is printed in many languages including but not limited to: English, French, German, Spanish, Chinese, Arabic, Italian, Portuguese etc.
– The international drivers license is valid in over 150 countries worldwide.
– An international drivers license cannot be renewed. One has to, after the expiry, go through the entire process of obtaining an international drivers license, once again.
Obtaining an international driving license takes anywhere between 2-7 working days. You can apply for an international driving license at the following places:
– Zonal Regional Transport Office (Head-office of the RTO in your city/district).
– WIAA (Western Indian Automobile Association).
– ITCA (International Traffic Control Association) website.
ITCA lets you obtain an international drivers license online. However, it is more expensive to do it that way. The Zonal RTO or the WIAA are cost-effective and do not require a lot of documents.
Let’s look at the documents you need, to apply for an international drivers license via the Zonal RTO or the WIAA.
– Valid Driving License.
– Secondary Permanent Address Proof (Aadhaar, Passport).
– Secondary Identity Proof (Aadhaar, Birth Certificate, Ration Card).
– Applicant’s Passport (Passport should be valid).
– Passport Size Photographs (Photographs should be recent)
– Applicant’s Visa + Ticket (Visa should be current and valid).
– Form CMV 1 & 1A (Medical conditions). (Available online)
– Form CMV 4 (Application form). (Available online)
All 3 of these forms mentioned above are different for different states, so make sure you download the correct one before visiting the Zonal RTO.
Applicable fees for obtaining an international drivers license via the Zonal RTO is Rs. 1000 & for the WIAA is Rs. 1500.
However, to obtain an international drivers license from the WIAA, you need to be a member of the WIAA. This is only possible in certain cities.
ITCA allows you to apply for an international drivers license, online. To do that, you will need to have the following documents:
– Scanned copy of the applicant’s current driving license.
– A High-Res Passport Size Photo (You can get this done at a local photo-studio).
– Scanned copy of the applicant’s passport.
– Other documents they require for verification (Usually visa copy, etc.)
If you apply via ITCA, the fee will be US$ 34+. This is one of the easiest ways to apply for an international drivers license, but also the most expensive. So, if you’re on a budget, we recommend applying via the Zonal RTO or via WIAA.
– An international license is an important document. Please keep it safely just like how you keep your passport.
– If you lose your international license, kindly report it to the Indian embassy if you’re abroad. Also, inform the local enforcing authorities of the country you’re in.
– If you lose your international drivers license locally, you will have to file an FIR at your local police station.
– You will not be able to obtain an international drivers license unless you have a valid visa of the country/territory you’re visiting.
We hope we could provide you with some clarity on how to rent a vehicle and drive around in any country you’re travelling to. So, what are you waiting for? Grab your documents and apply for an international drivers license already! Hurry, before you end up on your next vacation! Trust us, your kids will love you more than they do now if you can take them for a road-trip in Europe!
Share This page